Abinger, a village and a parish in Surrey. The village is 2½ miles SE of Gomshall and Sheire station on the S.E.R., and 4½ SW of Dorking, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Holmbury St Mary. Acreage, 7577; population of the civil parish, 1394; of the ecclesiastical, 555. It was for many years the residence of Hoole, the translator of Ariosto; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Scarlett. The parish is overhung on the SE by Leith hill, and drained westward by a tributary of the Wey. Abinger Hall is in the neighbourhood, and was long the residence of the Countess of Donegal, Swift's " Glory of the Granard race." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £466. The church is an ancient edifice, partly in the earliest Norman, partly in Early English; was restored in 1880, and contains some beautiful stained glass windows and a good organ. In 1877 the remains of a Roman villa were discovered close to Abinger Hall, and some coins of Constantine and a quantity of broken tiles were found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abinger St. James|
|Poor Law union||Dorking|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
We have transcribed the marriages at Abinger St. James from 1754-1837.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is an ancient fabric of stone and rubble, chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles: there is a small belfry with spire and containing 3 bells: the church has several stained windows and was restored in 1880: it affords 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abinger from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Abinger (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.