Stoke Ash, Suffolk
Stoke Ash, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 3 miles SW from Eye terminal station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Eye. Acreage, 1215; population, 228. Stoke Hall manor belongs to Lord Henniker, and Woodhall manor belongs to the Turner family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value£300 with residence. The church, which was thoroughly restored in 1868, is a Norman building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a square embattled western tower. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stoke-Ash All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Hartismere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Ash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke-Ash (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.
Online maps of Stoke Ash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: