Ipswich, the capital of East Suffolk, chief port and largest market-town in the county. It stands on the river Gipping or Orwell, at the point where the river exchanges the former name for the latter, and on the G.E.R., 17 miles NE from Colchester, 25 SE by E from Bury St Edmunds, and 68 NE from London. Three lines of railway go from it toward respectively Colchester, Yarmouth, Bury St Edmunds, and Norwich, and a branch line to the rising watering-place of Felixstowe; seventeen roads radiate from it toward all the points of the compass; the river Gipping gives it a considerable reach of inland navigation, and the Orwell, which extends hence to the sea at Harwich, and has throughout an estuarial character, gives it seaward outlet to all parts of the world.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ipswich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ipswich from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.
Online maps of Ipswich are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: