Writhlington, Somerset

Historical Description

Writhlington, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 1 mile ENE of Radstock stations on the G.W.R. and M.R. Post town, Radstock, under Bath. Acreage, 784; population, 390. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Coal is found in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1874, and is a building of stone in the Decorated style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Writhlington St. Mary Magdalene
Hundred Kilmersdon
Poor Law union Frome

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Writhlington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Writhlington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA3
Post TownRadstock