Wraxall, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2 miles NNE of Nailsea station on the G.W.R., 2 from Flax Boarton, and 6½ W of Bristol. It has a post office under Nailsea; money order and telegraph office, Nailsea. The parish includes the hamlet of Failand. Acreage, 4125; population of the civil parish, 921; of the ecclesiastical, 887. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Smyth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £400 with residence. The church is an ancient and beautiful building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with an embattled tower. It was restored in 1893. A village club was erected in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wraxall All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Wraxall 1562-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wraxall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wraxall (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Somerset, 1914
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.