Winsham, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2½ miles ENE of Chard Road station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Chard; telegraph office, Chard. Acreage, 3306; population of the civil parish, 794; of the ecclesiastical, 884. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a rectory, with Cricket annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £265 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is Early English and good, and contains a painting of the Crucifixion on a panel, and monuments to the Henly and Royse families. There are a Congregational chapel and a large stone cross.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winsham from the following:
Online maps of Winsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.