Winsford, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 5 miles N by W of Dulverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Dulverton; telegraph office, Dulverton. Acreage, 8740; population, 418. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Acland. Iron ore was formerly worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £360. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, and was thoroughly restored in 1891. A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Winsford St. Mary Magdalene|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Dulverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winsford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Winsford (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Winsford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.