Winford, Somerset

Historical Description

Winford, a parish, with Winford village and two hamlets, in Somerset, 4 miles from Nailsea station on the G.W.R.; and 6 SW of Bristol. It has a post office under Flaxbourton, money order and telegraph office. Chew Magna. Acreage, 3340; population of the civil parish, 935; of the ecclesiastical, 845. Winford Manor is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £350 with residence. Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1796, and was reseated in 1868. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Windford St. Mary and St. Peter
Hundred Hartcliffe with Bedminster
Poor Law union Bedminster

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Winford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Winford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyNorth Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS40
Post TownBristol