White Lackington, Somerset

Historical Description

Lackington, White, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village is 1¼ mile from Ilminster station on the G.W.R. The parish contains also the hamlets of Atherstone, Selvinch, and Hurcote. Post town, Ilminster. Acreage, 1181; population of the civil parish, 183; of the ecclesiastical, 214. The manor belongs to the Lee family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is Early English, and has a tower; it was thoroughly restored in 1884.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish White Lackington St. Mary
Hundred Abdick and Bulstone
Poor Law union Chard

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Whitelackington 1695-1837, Somerset is available to browse online.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for White Lackington from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.