Whitchurch, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3½ miles S of Bristol station on the G.W.R. It is sometimes called Felton, and has a post office under Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Totterdown. Acreage, 2225; population, 495. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, net value, £140 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, and has been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whitchurch St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whitchurch, or Felton (St. Gregory))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.