West Pennard, Somerset
Pennard, West, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village has a station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, 128 miles from London, and 3½ W by S of Glastonbury. It has a post office under Glastonbury; money order and telegraph office, Baltonsborough. The parish contains also the hamlets of East Street, South Town, and Sticklinch. Acreage, 3255; population, 762. A fair is held on the last Monday of July. A cheese, 9½ feet in circumference, and, 11 cwt. in weight, was made here from the produce of 750 cows, and presented to the Queen in 1840. The living is a. vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is Later English, in good condition, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. A sculptured. cross is in the churchyard. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Pennard St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Pennard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pennard, West (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of West Pennard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.