West Harptree, Somerset
Harptree, West, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 1 mile N by W of East Harptree, and about 5 miles from Clutton station on the G.W.R., and contains the old manor houses of Gournay and Tilly, now converted into farm dwellings. There is a post office under Blagdon; money order and telegraph office, East Harptree. Acreage of the civil parish, 3046; population, 347; of the ecclesiastical, 327. The manor of Gournay belongs to the Prince of Wales, and that of Tilly to the Newtons. A wooded hollow called Haydon's Gully, in a hillside, derives its name from having been the hiding-place of Colonel Haydon, a partisan of the Duke of Monmouth. The living is a vicarage-in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is ancient, was restored in 1864, and a transept added, at a cost of £1500, and comprises nave, aisle, and porch, with-tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Harptree St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Clutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Harptree from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harptree, West (St. Mary))
Online maps of West Harptree are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.