Walton in Gordano, Somerset

Historical Description

Walton-in-Gordano, a parish in Somerset, on the coast, 1¾ mile NE of Clevedon station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Clevedon; money order and telegraph office, Clevedon. Acreage, 1263; population, 705. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Miles. Walton Castle belonged to the Mortimers, passed to the Seymours, the Thynnes, and others, and is now an extensive ruin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £150 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1870, and has an embattled western tower; an ancient stone cross, 20 feet in height, stands in the churchyard. The church of St Peter and St Paul, Old Walton, was rebuilt in 1839 and restored in 1874; it is a small building of stone in the Early English style. A convalescent home was erected in 1873.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Walton-In-Gordano St. Paul
Hundred Portbury
Poor Law union Bedminster

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Walton in Gordano from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Walton in Gordano are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyNorth Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS21
Post TownClevedon