Walton (near Bridgwater), a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 3 miles from Glastonbury station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. It has a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Street. Acreage, 3163; population of the civil parish, 504; of the ecclesiastical, 494. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Bath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £310 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church is Decorated English, and was rebuilt in 1866. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Walton (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Walton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.