Trent, a parish in Somerset, 2 ½ miles NE of Yeovil station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Sherborne; money order and telegraph office, Nether Compton. Acreage, 1618; population, 419. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Trent House belonged to the Wyndhams, gave concealment for fifteen days to Charles II. after the battle of Worcester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £350 with residence. The church has been well restored and enlarged, and contains some interesting monuments. There are an endowed school with £110 a year and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trent St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trent from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.