Tolland, a parish in Somerset, 3 miles SW of Crowcombe Heathfield station on the G.W.R., and 4 NNE of Wiveliscombe. Post town, Wiveliscombe, under Taunton. Acreage, 842; population, 107. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £144 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old, but has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tolland St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||Taunton and Taunton-Dean|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tolland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tolland (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Tolland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.