Timsbury, Somerset

Historical Description

Timsbury, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2½ miles NNW of Radstock station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3 SSE of Clutton station on the North Somerset railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreage, 1161; population, 1390. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Coal is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £345 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church was wholly rebuilt in 1825, with chancel and transepts added in 1852. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Timsbury St. Mary
Hundred Chew
Poor Law union Clutton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Timsbury from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Timsbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA2
Post TownBath