Tickenham, a parish, with a straggling village, in Somerset, U miles NNW of Nailsea station on the G.W.R., 2½ E of Clevedon, and 9 W by S of Bristol. Post town, Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Nailsea. Acreage, 1629; population, 299. Cadbury Barrow crowns a hill, and a Roman camp is supposed to have been there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and contains effigies of the Berkeley family. An early 15th century manor house adjoins the church. There is a small chapel for the Brethren.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tickenham St. Quiricus and St. Julietta|
|Poor Law union||Bedminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tickenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tickenham (St. Quiricus and St. Julietta))
Online maps of Tickenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.