Thurlbear, a parish in Somerset, 3½ miles SE of Taunton station on the G.W.R. Post town, Taunton. Acreage, 982; population, 151. The manor belongs to Viscount Portman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells annexed to Orchard Portman. The church is Norman.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thurlbear St. Thomas|
|Poor Law union||Taunton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Thurlbear 1700-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thurlbear from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thurlbear (St. Thomas))
Online maps of Thurlbear are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.