Theale, an ecclesiastical district in Wedmore parish, Somerset, 4½ miles NNE of Shapwick station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway, and 5½ W of Wells. It has a post office under Cheddar; money order and telegraph office, Wedmore. It was constituted in 1844. Population, 645. For civil purposes Theale sends three members to the Wedmore parish council. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £270 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Wedmore. The church is modern.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Theale from the following:
Online maps of Theale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.