Tatworth, an ecclesiastical district in Chard parish, Somerset, 2 miles from Chard town, where there is a station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Chard; money order and telegraph office, Chard. Population of the ecclesiastical district, 957. The principal occupation of the parish is lace-making, which is carried on in connection with the Nottingham lace trade. Parrocks Lodge is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Chard. The church was built in 1851, and is a building of flint in the Early English style. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tatworth from the following:
Online maps of Tatworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.