Street, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 1½ mile SSW of Glastonbury and Street station on the Somerset and; Dorset railway, and 131 miles from London. It has a post,. money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2714; population of the civil parish, 3517; of ecclesiastical, 3535. There are extensive boot and shoe, and sheepskin and rug manufactories, also stone quarries (blue lias). The Crispin Hall Club and Institute is a handsome building of stone erected in 1885, and has a large hall capable of holding 800 persons, a smaller hall and gymnasium, library and museum. There is a district council which acts as the sanitary authority. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £290. Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church is Later English. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Street Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Wells|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Street (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.