Stogumber, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village has a station on the G.W.R., 170 miles from London, and 6 N by E of Wiveliscombe, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Taunton. It is famous for a pale ale made from a medicinal spring. The parish comprises 5349 acres; population of the civil parish, 955; of the ecclesiastical, 1028. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £220 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is good, and there are a Baptist chapel and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stogumber St. Mary|
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|Poor Law union||Williton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stogumber from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stogumber (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stogumber are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.