Stocklinch Ottersey, Somerset
Stocklinch Ottersay, a parish in Somerset, 2½ miles NE of Ilminster station on the G.W.R. Post town, Ilminster. Acreage, 301; population, 183. The united parishes of Stocklinch Ottersay and Stocklinch Magdalen are known under the appellation of Stocklinch, and have a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory, with Stocklinch Magdalen annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. The church is Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stocklinch Ottersay St. Mary|
|Hundred||Abdick and Bulstone|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stocklinch Ottersay 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stocklinch Ottersey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stocklinch, Ottersay (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stocklinch Ottersey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.