Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset
Shepton Beauchamp, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 4 miles WSW of Martock station on the G.W.R., and 4 ENE of Ilminster. It has a post and money order office under Ilminster; telegraph office, South Petherton. Acreage, 841; population, 670. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £240. The church is Later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a home for girls.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shepton-Beauchamp St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Shepton Beauchamp 1558-1812, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shepton Beauchamp from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shepton-Beauchamp (St. Michael))
- Kelly's Directory of Somerset, 1914
Online maps of Shepton Beauchamp are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.