Sandford Orcas, Somerset
Sandford Orcas, a parish in the county of Somerset, 2 miles SE of Marston on the G.W.R., and 3 NNW of Sherborne. It has a post and money order office under Sherborne; telegraph office, Rimpton. Acreage, 1104; population, 223. The manor house is a Tudor structure, and was formerly the seat of the Orskoys and the Knoyles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £290 with residence. The church is Norman and good, and has been well restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sandford-Orcas St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sandford Orcas from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.