Saltford, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, 5 miles WNW of Bath, and has a station on the G.W.R., Ill miles from London, and a post and money order office; telegraph office, Keynsham. The parish comprises 890 acres; population, 405. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Saltford House is the residence of the Kelly family. Saltford Tunnel, on the railway, is approached through a deep cutting in lias rocks, and is 499 feet long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £140 with residence. The church has been altered and repaired. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a meeting-house for Plymouth Brethren.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Saltford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Saltford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Saltford (St. Mary))
Online maps of Saltford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.