Rowberrow, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the NW end of the Mendip Hills, 4 miles NNE of Axbridge, and 3 from Winscombe station on the G.W.R. Post town, Congresbury. Acreage, 948; population, 110. Lapis calaminaris is found, and has been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and has been restored. The ancient British camp of Dolberry is in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rowberrow St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rowberrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rowberrow (St. Michael))
Online maps of Rowberrow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.