Queen Charleton, Somerset
Charleton, Queen, a parish in Somerset, near Wans Dyke, 2 miles SW of Keynsham railway station, and 5 SE of Bristol. Post town, Keynsham, under Bristol. Acreage, 970; population, 110. The manor belonged to Keynsham Abbey, and was given by Henry VIII. to Queen Catherine. The gateway of the Abbey Grange, a Norman structure, still stands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £80. The church has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Queen Charleton St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Queen Charleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Charleton, Queen (St. Margaret))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.