Puxton, a parish in Somerset, near the river Yeo, with a station on the G.W.R., 134 miles from London, and 5½ NNW of Axbridge. Post town, Bristol; money order and telegraph office, Banwell. Acreage, 1030; population of the civil parish, 203; of the ecclesiastical, 114. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £180. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is Later English, with porch and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Puxton St. Saviour|
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Puxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Puxton (St. Saviour))
Online maps of Puxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.