Preston Plucknett, Somerset
Preston Plucknett, a village and a parish in. Somerset. The village stands 1 mile NNE of Yeovil station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office, of the name of Preston, under Yeovil; money order and telegraph office, Yeovil. Acreage of parish, 769; population, 289. The Hon. Sir Spencer Ponsonby-Fane is lord of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Yeovil, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is Early English, and has a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Yeovil|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1813. For earlier records see Idmiston.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, erected by subscription in 1897 in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of her late Majesty Queen Victoria: in the north transept is a small doorway, probably at one time the entrance to the rood loft; the steps now lead to the pulpit: the church has four stained windows, and sittings for 220 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston Plucknett from the following:
Online maps of Preston Plucknett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.