Pointington or Poyntington, a parish in Somerset, adjacent to Dorset, 3 miles NNE of Sherborne station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Sherborne. Acreage, 1020; population, 135. The property belongs to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The old manor house was the residence of the Malets, and is a fine specimen of 15th-century architecture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is Norman, chiefly Decorated Early English, has a square tower with octagonal turret, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1867.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pointington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Sherborne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pointington from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.