Pensford, Somerset

Historical Description

Pensford, a village and a district in Somerset. The village stands on the river Chew, and has a station on the G.W.R. 124 miles from London, and 5½ SSE of Bristol. It was once a market-town and a seat of cloth manufacture, has copper works and paper mills, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bristol. The district is called St Thomas-in-Pensford, and was incorporated with the parish of Stanton Drew for civil purposes in 1884. Population of Stanton Drew, with Pensford, 690. Hill House is a chief residence. A railway viaduct of sixteen arches and upwards of 112 feet high here crosses the Chew river, on which there is some picturesque scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Stanton Drew, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Bath. The church was of 14th century date, with an embattled tower; contained an old carved oak pulpit, and a curious old stone font; and, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1869. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Pensford St. Thomas St. Thomas Becket
Hundred Keynsham
Poor Law union Clutton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Pensford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Pensford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyBath and North East Somerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBS39
Post TownBristol
Publow
Stanton Drew