Penselwood, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, adjacent to Dorsetshire and Wilts, 3 ¼ miles NE by E of Wincanton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Bath; money order and telegraph office, Bourton. Acreage, 1112 ; population of the civil parish, 353; of the ecclesiastical, 362. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a. chairman. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester and the Hoare family. A barrow and the site of a very ancient church are at Ballands. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £200 with residence. The church is Later English; has been restored; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower ; and contains. an old font, a piscina, and several monuments. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Penscellwood St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penselwood from the following:
Online maps of Penselwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.