Otterhampton, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, on the seaward reach of the river Parret, and 5½ miles NW of Bridgwater station on the G.W.R. Post town, Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Cannington. Acreage, 2026; population of the civil parish, 478; of the ecclesiastical, 432. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Hill House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, with the chapelry of Combwich annexed; net value, £200 with residence. The church is mainly Later English, with a chancel of 1844, and comprises nave and aisles, with a tower. It was restored in 1894, all objects of interest being carefully preserved. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Otterhampton 1656-1749, Somerset is available to browse online.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Otterhampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Otterhampton)
Online maps of Otterhampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.