Othery, Somerset

Historical Description

Othery, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on the river Parret, 3 miles from Athelney station on the G.W.R., and 7 SE by E of Bridgwater, and has a post office under Bridgwater; money order office, Weston Zoyland; telegraph office, Langport. The parish contains also part of Boroughbridge hamlet, and comprises 1944 acres; population of the civil parish, 575; of the ecclesiastical, 523. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Tynte family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is Early English, consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with porch and tower, has been restored, and contains some handsome stained glass windows. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Othery St. Michael
Hundred Whitley
Poor Law union Bridgwater

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Othery from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Othery are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSedgemoor
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA7
Post TownBridgwater