Norton St Philip, Somerset

Historical Description

Norton St Philip, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 2¼ miles W of the boundary with Wiltshire, 3 SSW of Freshford station on the G.W.R., and 7½ S by E of Bath. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bath. Acreageof parish, 1547; population, 536. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Norton House is the chief residence. The skirmish between the army of the Duke of Monmouth and the king's troops under Feversham, resulting in the repulse which drove Monmouth to the fatal field of Sedgemoor, took place near the village. There is a corn mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £70 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is Later English, has been restored, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and lofty tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and an endowed school.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Norton St. Philip St. Philip and All Saints
Hundred Wellow
Poor Law union Frome

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Norton St Philip from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Norton St Philip are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA2
Post TownBath