North Cheriton, Somerset
Cheriton, North, a parish in Somerset, 3 miles SW of Wincanton, and 2½ NNW of Templecombe station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Templecombe, Bath. Acreage, 1857; population of the civil parish, 184; of the ecclesiastical, 219. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £154 with residence and 28 acres of glebe. The church is good, and was enlarged in 1882-83.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Cheriton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Cheriton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cheriton, North (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of North Cheriton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.