North Cadbury, Somerset
Cadbury, North, a village and a parish in Somersetshire. The village stands on an eminence, 2 miles NE of Sparkford railway station, and 5 WSW of Wincanton. It has a post and money order office under Bath; telegraph office, Sparkford. The parish includes also the hamlets of Galhampton and Woolston. Acreage, 2686; population, 850. The manor belonged to the Botreauxes and the Hungerfords, and passed to the Bennetts. The manor-house was built in 1581 by the third Earl of Huntingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £603 with residence. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church was built in the time of Henry VI. by the Botreauxes, and contains several ancient monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel and a theatre capable of holding 400 persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Cadbury St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael was rebuilt by Elizabeth, Lady Botreaux, who in 1417 procured a license from Henry V. for its advancement to the rank of a collegiate church, with seven chaplains, one being rector; it is a fine building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, 72 feet in height, containing 6 bells: in the church are several ancient monuments, including an altar tomb, canopied and richly sculptured, and bearing recumbent effigies of a knight and lady, believed to represent William, Baron Botreaux, ob. 15 Richard II. (1391-2, who by his will directed that he should be buried here), and Elizabeth (Daubeney), his wife, ob. 11 Henry VI. (1431-2), foundress of the college, as mentioned above; there is another tomb, with inscription on brass above, to Sir Francis Hastings kt. (son of Francis, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon), ob. 26 Sept. 1610, and Magdalen (Vernon), his wife, ob. 14 June, 1596; a third tomb bears the date 1611, and over it is a shield with the impaled coats of Ewens and Hales, and the crest of the former, a curlew rising: here is a memorial to James Bennett esq. of Cadbury House, d. 8 Jan. 1815; and one with Latin inscription and impaled arms, to the Rev. Thomas Iliff S.T.P. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and formerly rector of this place, who died February 28, 1711: the stained east window was erected in 1876 by the Rev. William Castlehow, late rector 1861-96, as a memorial to his son, and in the tower is a window containing nine panels of mediæval glass, restored to the church in 1891 from Cadbury House, where they had been for some centuries: the church is seated with open oak benches, with linen pattern fronts and carved ends, one of which bears the date 1538: in 1906 the church was generally restored, the organ rebuilt, the bells rehung, and the top of the tower, which was in a very unsafe condition, thoroughly repaired, at a total cost of £1,800: there are 345 sittings.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1848.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Cadbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cadbury, North (St. Michael))
Land and Property
Cadbury Court stands south-east of the church; it was built towards the end of the 16th century, by Henry, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon K.G. whose arms appear in one of the windows of the hall, and the northern portion, which is part of the original house, is gabled and relieved by bay windows; the south front, consisting largely of modern additions, is built of hewn freestone in a plain style; the whole structure is about 180 feet in length, the apartments are spacious and elaborately fitted up, and include a large hall, 48 by 22 feet, with a fine oriel at the upper end filled with the emblazoned shields of former lords, and including the coats of Botreaux, Hastings, Hungerford and Moels; two, those of Francis and Henry, respectively 2nd and 3rd Earls of Huntingdon, are enriched with the garter, and the royal arms also appear; there is also a large concert room, 90 by 24 feet, with stage and retiring rooms; the grounds adjoining the mansion are well laid out, and to the south are wilderness walks with several ponds and a wood with a good rookery; the parklike lands on the north, south and east; are finely timbered and include an ornamental lake; the estate generally, comprising South Cadbury and extending into the parishes of Castle Cary, Sparkford and Weston Bamfylde, has an area of about 2,456 acres, of which about 25 acres are occupied by the house and grounds: the manor and estates of Cadbury were purchased in the reign of Charles I. by the Newman family, who held them until 1793, when they were disposed of to James Bennett esq. (d. 1815), and remaining in the Bennett family until 1910 when they were purchased by Archibald Lawrence Langman esq. C.M.G., J.P.
Online maps of North Cadbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.