North Barrow, Somerset
Barrow, North, a parish in Somersetshire, 2 miles from Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 3 SW of Castle Gary. Bath is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Castle Cary. Acreage, 770; population, 100. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, united with the vicarage of South Barrow; joint value, £230 with residence. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Barrow St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Barrow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barrow, North (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of North Barrow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.