Moorlinch, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 3 miles S of Shapwick station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 7 E of Bridgwater, with a post office under Bridgwater; money order and telegraph office, Edington. Acreage of the civil parish, 1125; population, 249; of the ecclesiastical, 535. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Stawell and Sutton Mallet, in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £320 with residence. The church is partly Early English, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. The perpetual curacies of Catcott, Burtle, and Edington-with-Chilton-upon-Polden are separate benefices. There are Congregational chapels at Moorlinch, "Chilton-upon-Polden, and Stawell, a Wesleyan chapel in Catcott, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Burtle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moorlinch St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moorlinch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Moorlinch (St. Mary))
Online maps of Moorlinch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.