Monkton Combe, Somerset
Monckton Combe, a parish in Somerset, on the Somerset Coal Canal, near the Fosse Way, 1 mile from Limpley Stoke station on the G.W.K., 1 from Midford station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 2¼ miles SSE of Bath. Post town, Bath; money order office, Combe Down; telegraph office, Limpley Stoke. Acreage, 686; population, 1760. For parish council purposes the parish is divided into two wards-Monckton Combe and Combe Down, the former returning three and the latter six members. Bath stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value, £75 with residence. The church is Early English, and was rebuilt in 1866. The vicarage of Combe Down is a separate beuefice. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moncton Combe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Bath|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Monkton Combe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Combe, Moncton (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.