Misterton, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands 1 mile N of the boundary with Dorset, and half a mile from Crewkerne station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Crewkerne; telegraph office, Crewkerne. Acreage of parish, 1361; population, 677. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pouleth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £190 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is plain but good, and consists of nave and chancel, with bell-turret. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Misterton St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Beaminster|
|Poor Law union||Beaminster (1836-1895)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Misterton from the following:
Online maps of Misterton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.