Milton Clevedon, Somerset

Historical Description

Milton Clevedon, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, 2 miles from Bruton station on the G.W.R., and 2 from Evercreech station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Evercreech. Acreage, 1243; population, 169. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; gross value, £260. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is Perpendicular in style; was restored and enlarged in 1865; and consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with porch and tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Ecclesiastical parish Clevedon Milton St. James
Hundred Bruton
Poor Law union Shepton-Mallet

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Milton Clevedon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Milton Clevedon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictMendip
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtBA4
Post TownShepton Mallet