Middlezoy, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands on a rising-ground about 2 miles from the river Parret, 4 N of Athelney station on the G.W.R., and 6 SE of Bridgwater, and has a post office under Bridgwater; money order office, Weston Zayland; telegraph office, Bridgwater. The parish contains also the hamlets of Long Acre and Thorngrove. Acreage, 2541; population of the civil parish, 592; of the ecclesiastical, 564. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £270. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is chiefly Later English, in good condition, has a very fine tower, and comprises nave, S aisle, transept, porch, and chancel. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Middlezoy Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middlezoy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Middlezoy (Holy Cross))
Online maps of Middlezoy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.