Mark, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the source of the river Brue, 2¼ miles ENE of Bason Bridge station on the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 6½ SW by S of Axbridge, and has a post office under Bridgwater; money order office, Mark Causeway; telegraph office, Highbridge. The parish contains also the hamlets of Northwick, Southwick, Perry, Yarrow, Vole, Pilbrow, Kings Road, Harp Road, Dutch Road, Yard Wall, and River Bridge, and is cut into two sections, E and W. Acreage, 4944; population of the civil parish, 1039; of the ecclesiastical, 1024. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £300 with residence. The church is of the 14th century, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. Some fine pieces of oak carving, formerly in the Bruges Cathedral, were presented to the church in 1879. A Wesleyan chapel, in lieu of an old one, was built in 1870. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Axbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mark from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.