Maperton, a parish in Somerset, 4 miles from Temple Combe Junction on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 N of Milborne Port. It contains the hamlet of Clapton, and its post town is Wincanton, under Bath. Acreage, 1152; population of the civil parish, 176; of the ecclesiastical, 201. Good freestone is quarried and bricks are made. Maperton House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £285 with residence. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Early English, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Maperton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Maperton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Maperton (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Maperton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.