Ling or Lyng, a village and a parish in Somerset. The village stands near the river Tone, the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, and the Durston and Athelney stations of the G.W.R., about 7½ miles NE from Taunton, and 7 SE from Bridgwater, and has a post office under Taunton; money order and telegraph office, North Curry. It has a fair on the second Monday of Aug. The parish includes Athelney Island and part of Burrowbridge chapelry. Acreage, 1465; population, 285. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £80 with residence. The church is ancient, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. It contains some beautiful oak carving. Athelney, in the parish, is historically famous as the retreat of King Alfred the Great during the invasion of the Danes. See ATHELNEY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ling St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Bridgwater|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lyng from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ling (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Lyng are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.