Lovington, a parish, with a village, in Somerset, near the river Brue, 3 miles from Sparkford station on the G.W.R., and 10 SW of Wincanton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Castle Gary. Acreage, 828; population, 179. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is small, in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lovington St. Thomas à Becket|
|Poor Law union||Wincanton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lovington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lovington (St. Thomas à Becket))
Online maps of Lovington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.