Long Load, Somerset

Historical Description

Load, Long, a tithing and a chapelry in Martock parish, Somerset. The tithing lies between the rivers Parret and Yeo, 3 miles from Martock station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Langport; telegraph office, Martock. Population of ecclesiastical district, 376. The cliiipelry does not seem to have defined limits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells; net value,. £250 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Martock. The church is good. A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1885.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Somersetshire
Civil parish Martock
Hundred Martock
Poor Law union Yeovil

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Long Load 1749-1808, Somerset is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1731.

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.


Churches

Church of England

Christ Church (parish church)

Christ Church, built in 1856 on the site of an older structure, mentioned as "The Chapell" in a chantry certificate of the date of Edward VI. is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: the name of the church is said to have been changed from that of St. Mary Magdalen at the time it was rebuilt, a former name of the chapelry having been "Load St. Mary": there are sittings for 250 persons.
Christ Church, Long Load


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Long Load from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Long Load are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictSouth Somerset
CountySomerset
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTA10
Post TownLangport